Tuesday 2 June 2009

Nine (2009) Trailer- film won't appear until November


la la la laa, la la laaa la, la la la la la la la laaaaa!!!
Chicago is not one of my favourite musicals and the film isn't helped with the casting of Rene Zellwegger and Richard Gere, two actors I'm not fond of, but I think the film itself is an extremely good musical film. The director knows what he's doing, there are no bits where you think 'oh god, a song...' The songs all gel perfectly well into the story thanks to the stage set-up throughout. The same director, Rob Marshall, is doing Nine and I am so pleased!! Because Nine is a really good musical! Great story, characters and songs, but I think it- like all stage musicals- would have to be tackled carefully on film, I don't think I have to worry.
The casting looks fabulous; Daniel Day Lewis as Guido just better be able to sing (wonder why Antonio Banderas didn't get to recreate his stage version... Surely he can still pass for forty?) Marion Cotillard as the missus, Penelope Cruz as the mistress, Nicole Kidman as the actress, Kate Hudson as the American journalist, Sophia Loren as the mother, Black Eyed Peas singer as the prostitute (that's her singing over the trailer- bloody good!! A million miles better than the '93 London Cast Recording I have!!) and Judi Dench.
I don't know why I didn't know this was happening, films are always a surprise to me now, I stopped buying Empire three years ago after a five year loyalty to save money, no doubt that money now goes on something else and to top it off I'm ignorant of important film-news!! Anyway I cannot wait to see this film, it looks great fun. I especially look forward to Marion Cotillard (La Môme Piaf!) she's very lovely. I will update 25th November!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't there also another movie coming out called Nine, a Tim Burton-tyle stop motion apocalyptic puppet drama? How confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! Did Raul Julia die for nothing?! Nothing?! -except Street Fighter of course... HORROR.

    ReplyDelete