Tuesday 30 March 2010

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009 ish)

I really don't know what the reviewers were talking about. I was expecting an embarrassing mistake, something a hundred times worse than the Brothers Grimm- which I cringed all the way through. Have the reviewers of Dr Parnassus seen The Brothers Grimm?!? Well, i've got news for you I thought the Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was Terry's best film for ages! I thought it was really good! It's probably too early for me to tell if that's only because my expectations were so low! But I don't care. I really enjoyed it.
I thought the replacement actors all did brilliant jobs doing impressions of each other and of Heath Ledger and it worked seamlessly! It made perfect sense that through the mirror in other people's imaginations Heath would change into some ideal! Brilliant writing! And actually quite a tight story! Especially for Terry!
And I loved the ending! I love how Gilliam does that! Fuck you Hollywood! The star turns out to be shit all along!! Yes, I'm a Gilliam fan. I mean, come on, I'm an illustrator and I like funny. Obviously I'm going to be into him. For me this was a good attempt at compromise between the slight-Hollywood of The Fisher King and the brilliant originality of Brazil. The Brothers Grimm was far too Hollywood and was awful because of it. I really liked Twelve Monkeys. I think that was probably the most successful Hollywood-Gilliam compromise but I don't have it in my collection. I know the critics thought it was awful but The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is in my collection and absolutely one of my favourites.
Well done to Terry and Charles McKeown for doing a great job on this one considering! I particularly enjoyed the Jonathan Pryce part, quite obvious that if it was made twenty-five years ago Andrew Garfield's part would have been played by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment